The Annual Point in Time (PIT) Homeless Census is the way we learn who is homeless and why. This “point in time” one day count was first pioneered by Olympia area service providers and soon thereafter adopted by the state as the singular annual measurement tool to help guide the investment of federal, state and local funding.
Each year in late January, service providers and volunteers use a confidential questionnaire to gather data, which is entered into a Statewide database called the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) to be tracked, analyzed and reported on. Please note the total PIT Homeless Census number includes people who are:
1) Unsheltered living out-of-doors, in vehicles, in sub-standard buildings not fit for human habitation;
2) Emergency Shelter Short-term 90 day accommodations, either dormitory style or in apartments; and
3) Transitional Housing Short term housing offering 18 months or less.
In Thurston County, the Census will take place on Thursday, January 24, 2019. For more information about volunteering and donating needed supplies, click here.
In Mason County, the Census will take place on Friday, January 25, 2019.
Crossroads Housing, Community Lifeline, Mason County Public Health, Turning Pointe and HOST homes are collaborating to solicit donations for Mason County’s Homeless Census. These community partners will serve homeless families, homeless individuals, domestic violence survivors, and unaccompanied youth. They would be grateful for a donation of any type or amount. They are specifically looking for:
- Sleeping bags meant for colder weather
- Flashlights or lanterns
- Propane bottles
- Pop top nonperishable cans of food
- White cotton or wool socks
- Bottled water
- Hot hand and foot warmers
- Quick dry thermal underwear
- Dog food
Homeless individuals and families are invited to a free lunch where they’ll be able to collect clothing and cold weather supplies as well as receive haircuts on January 25 at two Mason County locations:
11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Community Lifeline, 218 N 3rd Street in Shelton.
11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at North Mason Resources, 140 NE State Route 300, Belfair.